Friday, May 04, 2012

To Do, Everyday

So, I read this post on Sean Bonner's blog about a month ago, To Do, Everyday and it inspired me to think about things I would like to do for myself that will make me happy.  I spend a lot of time thinking about work, family, other people's needs, responsibilities and things I have to do, etc...  I forget to focus on things I want to do.  The idea of a simple list to remind myself of little ways to make myself was intriguing.  And of course, this took a back burner to the responsibilities of life.  But here I am on a lovely day, looking for the perfect reason to  avoid mowing my lawn and here I am.  

  • Get outside - Sometimes, it's just playing in the dirt (I can't call my poor skills actual gardening), or a walk around the neighborhood.  Jaime also really enjoys accompanying me on walks at night, which is a bonus. But I also love exploring some of the local woods and trails.  The spring weather is definitely has gotten me thinking about taking some interesting geocache excursions, as well.
  • Read for enjoyment - I don't do this often enough.  I read a lot, but I tend to do it in spurts and barrel through books. Though some books, I purposely will stretch out when I really don't want it to end.  I've found that taking just a half hour to read is a nice mind clearer, though.  And there's no better feeling than sitting on the couch, cup of coffee in hand and immersed in a good story.
  • Unplug - I think this is probably the most difficult task to follow through with, but when I do it I feel so good afterwards.  We're in a world so connected to such a wealth of information and instant communication, as well as gratification, I find myself more dependent on technology than I would have thought possible.  Getting away from it all helps me feel less fragmented.
  • Socialize - As someone who tends to be an introvert, I actually have to actively think about this one.  Really.  Not that I don't like people, but it's a bit hard for me to initiate things.  So, I've been trying to get myself out of my comfort zone and be more social. It's had the benefit of helping me realize there's a lot of great people in my life that I get to spend time with, which makes me realize I am an exceptionally lucky person. 
  • Zumba!   

No comments: