Monday, September 10, 2012

Harder Better Faster Stronger

So, this weekend I braved a nasty chest cold to run in the Ithaca 5 and 10.  I probably should have skipped it, but I had been planning on running this race for months and had already paid my entrance fee so I was determined to run.  And I am glad I did push through and do it.  It certainly wasn't easy, but I did it.

I ended up with a 5 mile time of 51:32, averaging 10:19 a mile.  Not the greatest, but at least somewhat respectable, especially considering I was still feeling sick.  So, I'll take it. It'll give me a benchmark to work with for my next race.  That one's going to be a trail run, which I always enjoy.

I think I like running because so much of it is based on willpower and endurance.  I've never been the fastest person, but I have the ability to just keep pushing along. I was talking to my daughter about long distance running and I couldn't give better advice other than to just say, "You just keep running."  It's so simplistic, but it's really all I do.

I think about this because I have a lot on my plate in my personal life and I have a lot of obstacles coming up.  I guess I need to put my advice for running to heart and utilize it in life. No matter what comes my way I'm just going to have to tap into that stamina and keep running.

No comments: