Saturday, September 01, 2012

Maybe the sun will shine today

So, after three days away for a mini vacation, I have returned home right when everyone else is going away for Labor Day. I'm weird in that I work a lot on weekends when everyone else is usually off. This is a good thing in that I get to do a whole lot of errands during the week and I also get needed alone time during when my daughter (finally) returns to school next week.  On the other side, I'm also usually working while everyone else is doing cool stuff.  However, taking a midweek vacation right before Labor Day was a financial plus.  I also got a beachfront hotel to stay at for dirt cheap.  Thanks, Priceline!

And believe me, I need a vacation.  Going through divorce is stressful enough, but piled on with financial stress, work stress, personal stress, relationship stress, family stress, insane chasing my insane escape artist dogs down the street stress, etc... I really was about ready to rip my hair out.  I was feeling a huge urge to just GET AWAY. Get away from everything and everyone, even if it was just for a few days.  I just needed to escape. Get somewhere where I could quiet my mind and focus on something, anything other than all the troubles I've been through.  My mother was good enough to help me out and essentially pay the costs of the vacation, for which I cannot thank her enough.

Did it work? I guess for a few days it did.  Standing on the edge of the beach and watching the waves is very calming and I did get a chance to clear my mind at least for a while.
So, even a few days peace was worth it.  At the same time, peace never lasts. The closer I got home last night, I could feel the weight of all my troubles returning.  I hope my time away at least buoys me through a lot of dark times ahead.

No comments: