Friday, October 25, 2013

19. What would you do today if there is no more tomorrow?

Hey wait, didn't I just answer this question over the course of a week?

Or at least that was my initial thought reading it.  Again?  I have to go through all that again?  Thinking of your potential demise is not the easiest thing in the world.  But then I thought about it further and I realized that maybe the point is now that I had to break things down like that, this question is no longer as daunting as it initially sounds.

Going through this exercise helps to clarify a lot.  Especially what's important and what's not in the grand scheme of things.  Yesterday at work I was really excited because I felt like I was making progress in my job.  Newly licensed, starting to make sales, getting a better handle on the product and meeting my goals. I felt really good.  But when it's broken down, it's not the sale that made me happy.  It's the accomplishment. I'm proud of the fact that I entered a brand new territory well out of my comfort zone and I am doing pretty well so far.  It makes me want to take more chances and try more things.  I want to be more open to new experiences.

But we're talking  about today right now...  Not tomorrow.  Well, mainly because the point of today's question is that tomorrow isn't there.  So, I know at least today I can look back and feel good about taking those steps to own my life and my decisions.  So that's a good thing.  I can make peace with the fact that I may have not accomplished everything I want to do, but the fact that I've started is most definitely a good thing.  So I can live with that if today is my last day.

I also want to make sure that I have a day where I'm surrounded by what makes me happy and who makes me happy.  That was pretty well spelled out already, but looking back I am glad to see that certain things I would do always pop up.  The first thing I always thought of was that I always wanted to do something special with the one person who is the most important person in my life.  And that's Jaime.  As much as she is in her obnoxious teenage years, she will always be my first priority even if she doesn't believe it.  (After all, in her mind, the fact that I refused to buy her $120 sneakers means I don't love her. And really $120 for SNEAKERS?  WHO DOES THAT?  The kid must be insane...)  It helped me identify my most basic needs.  And when it comes down to it, I just want to be around my friends, my family and my dog.  And I want to go out enjoying the things I like best.  Sounds pretty good to me...

No comments: