Monday, November 18, 2013

27. How can you create these opportunities?

Now, this...  this is where my problem is.  Most of my opportunities seem to have come to me, rather than me seeking them out.  Don't get me wrong, I've still experienced a lot of great things.  My willingness to say yes to those opportunities that have presented themselves has led me down some interesting paths.  I'm always willing to try something new that comes along because I figure even if it works, it'll still be an interesting experience.  One of the reasons, I never get afraid about getting lost. Something always shows up that's sometimes even better than what I originally planned.  But I think I've also missed out on a lot by not taking charge and forging my own path.  Searching out my own opportunities.  So, the question is? How do I start?

Well, one of the first things I have to do is allow myself to be more social.  I swear, I'm not a hermit.  I do go out and do things.  But it's usually just within my small circle of friends.  So, I know I need to make an effort to become more socially adept.  By increasing my social sphere, I know in turn it will help me forge more connections.  And then those connections can grow into more opportunities, both on a personal and a professional level.  It's just hard to put yourself out there. But in order to work towards larger professional goals, I need to motivate myself to become more social.  And I'm not terrible at it, it's just that as an introvert, it's terribly terribly draining...

I need to learn to take more chances.  I need to explore more.  I need to be more adventurous and take more risks.  Maybe sky diving!  (no, not really...) But I do need to allow myself to grow more and not get stuck in a rut.  I'm not going to find adventure sitting at home with my books and my dog.  I need to find less things to say no to and figure out how to say yes.  i know, it sounds like a platitude, but there's a lot of things I've put off for no good reason and time's slipping by.  I already wasted too much time on things and people I shouldn't have.

I want to be more honest with people instead of hiding what I'm really thinking and feeling.  That's even scarier.  Just writing this blog has been scary.  I know, everyone's favorite topic is themselves... But I've found this experience of putting my life on view to be a very discomfiting experience.  But, it's also been good for me.  It's like putting thing on view makes me more responsible to live up to what I'm saying, even if it's to an audience of mostly strangers.  I'm hoping that this will allow me to take more chances in the future because I need to back up what I say. And hopefully as a result, it will bring on new, sometimes uncomfortable and hopefully rewarding experiences and opportunities.  Anyways, it's a start.



No comments: